Wednesday, January 21, 2009

DO YOU R.A.K.?

I guess I'm tooting my horn. I'll do it quietly! Below is a letter I wrote to the editor of our paper. I never thought anyone would contact me about it. Friday evening I got a call from a guy who works for a car repair place wanting to get hold of her to fix her car. I even received cards from a couple of ladies who were touched by the letter and one sent me $10. (Think I'll drop it off at the women's shelter, just can't spend it....) And on the papers web site there were 5 comments, only one saying 'It is a sign of the times; good Samaritans having trouble; people are gun shy.' The others complimented. I just wanted to make us all think. Assess the situation and do what your heart tells you......and when you are thanked, ask that they pay it forward!! With the way the economy is going we will need to do more (Random Acts of Kindness).

Letter: Caring and helping year round
Karen McLaughlin, Willmar,
West Central TribunePublished Friday, January 16, 2009

At 8:40 a.m. Tuesday as I waited to turn onto County Road 5 to go to work, I noticed someone walking up the hill towards me. Remember, it was 20 below.
I also noticed a number of people who drove by, looking right at this person. It obviously was a student headed to the college as they were wearing a backpack. Talk about dedication.
I rolled down my window and asked if they wanted a ride. I got a nod and the young lady got in my car. I found out her car wouldn’t start and she had called friends and was told they didn’t have time to give her a ride. (You must not have had time either if you drove right by her.)
She also didn’t have any money. So she walked. Well, I took the time.
Let’s not quit giving, caring and helping when the holidays end.



Thanks for reading this.....I hope you take the time to warm your heart by doing a R.A.K.!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sure that girl really appreciated you taking the time to give her a ride on such a brutally cold day.

What a dedicated student!! I would have stayed home:)

Scrapacat said...

Praise God there are still people who help others. Thank you for sharing this story, too.
~ky

Susan Westberg said...

Great story Karen! I was gone for the past week in Mexico so I haven't caught up on reading the paper. You're one of the most kind and generous people I know!! Thanks for caring for others. :)